>A bit of an adventure

>Everything was planned, ready and laid out for me to get up at 7am, be out of the house by 7:45am, and on that first bus at 7:52am. I went to bed early, about 10pm … and was still tossing and turning 2 hours later. Then I was wide awake at 6am remembering that I hadn’t set the heating to go on earlier and I hadn’t put the cat litter tray down – well, I’d be out the house for more than 10 hours and I prefer the cats to be in for that length of time.

At 6:45am I got up – shock, horror – as anyone that knows me will agree. Even the cats looked at me as if I were “gone out”. “And we call this what time?” they both seemed to say. Then: “You expect us to go out at this time of night?”

I reset the heating, prepped the litter tray, decided against the trousers I’d put out ready, packed the lunch I’d prepared last night (Ms Uber-Organised), and was out of the house at 7:45am.

The first bus was late but ok. The train was on time. There was snow in The Lebanon … erm, Rotherham. The central railway station is, I hope, under refurbishment, because if it isn’t, it’s the pits. There is no mobile signal at the Interchange. My second bus was missing. Not late, just not there. Fortunately there are regular buses to the hospital opposite, if you know where to go. I didn’t, but I do now. And I “clocked in” at 9:25am.

One hour and forty minutes to travel 12 miles. But as I can no longer afford the petrol to come here … (yup, they no longer pay me enough for me to get to work), I’d better get used to it.

And that brings me nicely to … the day job.

We currently have no magazine. I currently have no boss. I still have a department – all one of me. When I started here 6 years ago I was working 15 hours a week. Now I work 24.5 hours per week, 3 days one week and 4 days the next. I wanted to do my 3 part-days consecutively to give me a longer weekend, but my boss wanted me to stagger the days. In 6 years the only reasons I’ve really needed to be here on a Friday have been social. Mostly.

So, as I get used to my new travel arrangements, and while I await my new boss to be installed, I have 3 choices. I can carry on doing Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and alternate Thursdays; I can try Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and alternate Fridays; or I can go back down to a 3 day week (21 hours) and do just Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

I think that if I reduce the hours, or at least take all of my days consecutively, the uncertainty while they sort things out will be easier for me to bear. This week is a 4 day week anyway, but I may try the middle of the week thing next week, when it’s a 3 day week (but don’t anybody tell Colin …).

One of my New Year resolutions was to come to terms with my current job or find a new one. Maybe this is a step towards coming to terms with it. According to my budget, I can afford to drop the extra half a day a week from February, and when the magazine gets the go ahead again, I can’t realistically see us doing the translations for much longer if at all, so I won’t need that extra half a day a week either. When we added the extra half a day a week last time, they did it from 1 April.

Four consecutive days at home would be great and would make this (changed) job much easier to tolerate.

We have a light smattering of snow in Sleepy Hollow but there was nothing back home in the Back of Beyond. There was, however, too much cloud cover to see any eclipse.

I have another adventure later – the journey home. Wish me luck.


11 thoughts on “>A bit of an adventure

  1. Twiggy 4 January 2011 / 10:45 am

    >Isn't that always the way, tossing and turnin when you need a good nights kip!!We haven't had any snow up on t'tops. It was cloudy for the eclipse and now the sun has come out!!The public transport up here is sparse, if hubby wants to go to work on the bus, he has to catch a bus at 7.30am – if it turns up – catch another bus or walk down to train station, then catch a train and we share a car – ho hum,rural life has to have it's downsideTwiggy x


  2. Diane 4 January 2011 / 11:12 am

    >If I wanted to get in before 9am I'd need to be at the top of my road to catch the first of many buses/trains an hour earlier than I was. I think the car will be coming out just on ce a week now, with petrol so pricey.


  3. devonellington 4 January 2011 / 12:16 pm

    >Commuting is never fun or easy because it's all out of your control. It used to take me an hour and a half to get to NYC, although it's only 25 miles. Ridiculous.If you can afford it initially, drop the half day. Replace it at home with marketing time — you'll find within a month, it will pay off more than the salaried day would.Having 4 consecutive days to write would be a huge boost for you — you're already organized, you could get a lot done and wind up making more money, socking money away, and ready for anything job-wise.


  4. Diane 4 January 2011 / 12:29 pm

    >The last time I went by bus to work was in 1986. It's going to take me some time getting used to it and the timetables again, etc. I knew them quite well back in Birmingham. I don't know them at all up here.I have no-one to change my hours with (officially) until 1 Feb, which will at least give me time to "sleep on it". But yes, we're on the same wavelength – I couldn't have put it better. ;o)


  5. Colin Galbraith 4 January 2011 / 1:36 pm

    >Sssshhhh – I won't mention anything ;-)I certainly don't miss my commutes of old between Glasgow and Edinburgh. 5 hours a day left me with no life whatsoever. These days I'm only an hour and most of that is walking so it's quite good for the spirit (unless it's been snowing of course!)Hope you go to 3 days so you get more writing done 🙂


  6. Colin Galbraith 4 January 2011 / 1:38 pm

    >Oh – and I heard you guys had another earthquake this morning! What on earth (under earth?) is going on down there? Trust you were okay and everyone unhurt?


  7. Diane 4 January 2011 / 1:49 pm

    >Ha ha ha. You must know I didn't even know about it until it was Tweeted. Apparently it was in Knaresborough. Something's going on, though, with this one and the one in Cumbria last week. Maybe we have a biggie coming.A 3 hour total commute would be a LOT better over just 3 days instead of 4 or 5 or more. And thanks for not saying anything! 😀


  8. Rare Lesser Spotted 4 January 2011 / 5:11 pm

    >Life is complex and actually – things like this are so important for a number of reasons, so I hope it goes well in the decision making department. My cats HATE doing anything out of the routine and mine must be related to yours – how they can give such a look of distain is beyond me! We are so much of an inconvenience to them!Snow here too this morning – 1 inch, and sadly it's still here tonightXX


  9. Melissa Marsh 4 January 2011 / 8:52 pm

    >Ah, the day job. Mine has been crazy (three people quit in two days!). Wish I could just win the lottery…


  10. Diane 5 January 2011 / 9:29 am

    >Steve, I expect your snow is gone by now – if you had as much rain as we did. My cats wouldn't even go out this morning (Wedensday).


  11. Diane 5 January 2011 / 9:30 am

    >If only we could do without the day job, eh Melissa?


Comments are closed.