System working so far

I had a good day yesterday.

First job, not on the list, was update the gig list – after I’d done the blog. That’s going to be a busier job next week as I’ll be adding in all the gigs I have in for September. I keep forgetting to add this to the to do list, but it always gets done.

Then I had a proper dinner break, one where I had a leisurely sandwich, played a game, and read for a short while. I often forget to break for dinner or end up working while I eat it.

The next 2 hr segment was draft 1 of the National Service book proposal. I already had an extensive outline for this – ha ha, I outlined the outline – but it kept getting a bit stuck and every time I wanted to check a stat on the internet I got distracted. By the internet. So 2 hours became 3. I did it, though, and I didn’t half feel smug when I did. πŸ™‚

This meant it was too late to start another 2 hr segment, so I walked the dog instead. The dog is usually my 5pm job. I tried walking him first thing but it was wearing me out for most of the morning and that’s counter-productive. So last job of the working day is walking the dog.

I finished an hour early and had an early tea because I was starving. Then I did a load of household chores – these start the working day and end the working day.

After a nice soak in the bath, I picked up work again. The job I’d deferred earlier was British School of Journalism (BCJ) assignment 4, so I sat down to do this. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a suitable news story on which to base the assignment, so I moved onto my final job for yesterday, reading a mate’s film script.

In between all of this I was keeping an eye on the new FB group, responding to new members saying hello, chatting to my co-admin throughout the day. I also spent quite a lot of thinking time on the novel issue. That’s the issue of which novel rather than a quaint little novel issue …

It doesn’t seem like a busy day, and it wasn’t really. Not in a frantic way, and that’s good. But I plodded through everything steadily and ticked them off as I went along. I won’t be able to do the missing assignment until I have a new newspaper, but that won’t stop me moving on to BCJ tutorial 5 later today.

First job today then, after this, is another 2 hr segment on the book proposal. The first draft is always the hardest, in my opinion, so I may claw back time here. Then it’s tutorial 5, and then 3 lots of 3 article ideas to 3 magazines. I’ll have another look at assignment 4 this evening, as well as continue reading mate’s script and revisit the novel thing.

We had torrential rain during the night, twice. It was coming down so hard it sounded as though there was a street-cleaning wagon outside the window. The pets got me up at 5am, but the cats could already hear that they weren’t going anywhere, so they crossed their legs and stayed where they were. Rufus did come downstairs with me, but he refused to go out. It was banging down so hard it was bouncing in through the kitchen door. So he went back to bed and crossed his legs too.

I don’t know if we have any more forecast for today. It’s dry at the moment, but feeling damp. I know there’s a hurricane happening across the pond. I hope everyone over there’s okay.


8 thoughts on “System working so far

  1. Colin Galbraith 25 August 2011 / 12:22 pm

    You are TOTALLY charged! Great to see and am delighted you got that book proposal together so quick πŸ™‚


    • Diane 25 August 2011 / 2:03 pm

      I knew the trip to Edinburgh had done me good. The book proposal is a good start. πŸ™‚


  2. devonellington 25 August 2011 / 2:21 pm

    It was busy, but not frantic. You’ve set yourself a good work place.


    • Diane 25 August 2011 / 2:49 pm

      Yes, steady is good. Less chance of burnout.


  3. Carol 25 August 2011 / 5:29 pm

    All sounds great, you are very well organised and reaping the benefits for it. Turned out to be a lovely day here after all that rain. Our old dog refused to go out also and I wasn’t going to persuade him.


    • Diane 25 August 2011 / 6:11 pm

      Still doing well but could do with the income restarting again soon.

      It turned glorious here too, but the field was still sticky when I walked the dog.


  4. Sarah Pearson 25 August 2011 / 9:57 pm

    Slow and steady can often be the way to go πŸ™‚

    You sound like you’re really settling into the working from home thing insted of being employed by someone, and I’m glad.


    • Diane 26 August 2011 / 9:13 am

      I love working from home. I’d say I miss the social interaction of work but I’m still in touch with the only people I used to see there, so that hasn’t really changed.


Comments are closed.