I started the week wondering which novel to get on and finish first.
In my response to Devon, in the comments section, I listed every single project I already have, either started or in planning.
Here it is again, for my benefit so I can see it without going into the comments, and for anyone that doesn’t read the comments. With embellishment:
- Catch the Rainbow is the story set against the Birmingham pub bombings, it’s a prequel to Night Crawler. Marcie Craig has a cameo appearance, aged 10. I have 15,000 words written and it’s fully planned.
- The 1st sequel to Night Crawler is The Beast Within, planned but no writing as yet. The 2nd sequel is Snowblind, ditto. The 3rd and 4th are Killer Queen and Fear of the Dark, neither with very much planning.
- Catch the Rainbow is my first historical, if 1974 can be classed historical. It’s a sequel to Hattie’s Hotshots, set in the 1950s, which in turn is a sequel to Cider and Sympathy, set at the start of the last century. Both planned but no writing.
- 0: The Fool is the first in a new series, I have 15,000 words written and it’s planned. But I only have additional storylines for 2: The High Priestess and 12: The Hanged Man so far.
- Of the Tarot stories, 12: The Hanged Man is the one screaming to be written. Val McDermid and Colin Galbraith would say write this one first. “Why do they have to be in order?” Because I’m a bit anal like that … And that would mean another new project started.
- The Suit(s) of Wands, Swords, Pentacles and Cups are anthologies of short stories, to go with the Tarot novels.
- I also have 15,000 words written of a standalone, Laguna Sunrise, which is a romance/mystery.
- I think Catch the Rainbow is the more solid of the two choices, but it needs interviews and research – probably down in Birmingham. I think 0: The Fool will be the easiest one to do, but it needs readings and research …
I shall no doubt continue to mull this issue over the weekend.
Jobs today are draft 3 of the book proposal – I’ll let that cool over the weekend, check it and send it – BCJ assignments 4 and 5, finish reading that film script, invoicing, make decision on novel, walk dog, and hairdresser.
The only job I can’t seem me doing this week is looking at Smashwords for Night Crawler, and there’s no room next week as it’s a 4 day week and I have a book to proof. I’ll just put this to one side for now until I can schedule it in again, hopefully in 2 or 3 weeks.
Here’s how that list is looking today:
- Edinburgh Book Festival blog n pics √
- BCJ assignment 4
- We Also Served: voices from our National Service book proposal √
- Night Crawler on Smashwords X
- EITHER 0: The Fool OR Catch the Rainbow √
- Set up new FB group Seriously Serious Short Story Scribes √
- BCJ assignment 5
- Read mate’s script √
- Send out 3 lots of 3 article ideas to 3 magazines √
- Raise invoice.
With the following extras:
- Worm dog √
The weekend will be full of shopping – although I may do that later today on my way home from the hairdresser – washing, baking, ironing, and as it’s the last Sunday of the month I’ll be taking Rufus down to Birmingham. It’s a bank holiday weekend and I’m taking Monday off (so I feel like I have one too), so I’ll take Rufus on a bigger walk then.
Have a great holiday weekend.