WARNING: Possibly not for the faint-hearted …
I’ve not been very well again this week, waking up last Friday morning with quite a sore throat that got steadily worse as the week progressed. I think it’s because I came into contact with someone with children – not that children are bad for me or anything, but they are contagious if there’s something going around at school, and as I don’t have contagious children at school to help build my immunity, I catch the first thing that crosses my path.
So it’s been a week of hot, restless nights, late lie-ins, temperatures, feeling sorry for myself. And I’ve not managed all the work I promised myself. Saying that, I have done quite a lot.
- I’ve been proofing a novel for a new client
- I’ve been proofing a book for already-boss
- I’ve written and submitted a reader’s letter
- I’ve written and submitted a markets article
- I’ve submitted Night Crawler to a self-publishing competition
- I carried out an errand of mercy for a musician friend
- I’ve planned 3 short stories and written the first drafts of 2 of them
- I’ve uploaded the gig list for February
On top of all of this I was set a challenge by a writing friend to add just one extra thing to my to-do list today. I really didn’t think I’d have time, but as I was stirring this morning, an idea occurred to me, and then another, and then another …
So, this morning I’ve:
- Printed off 6 short stories that were doing nothing. I’m going to sit and read through them, see if they can be improved, then I’m going to send at least 3 of them out.
- Printed off a 60-word flash that won a comp yonks ago to see if it can be polished and sent out.
- Printed off a very old RTE – still in courier font – that I’m going to see if I can polish and send out.
- Selected 9 published or broadcast short stories and opened an anthology document. I’m going to choose 3 of the unpublished stories to go with it and start thinking Lulu/Kindle with that.
I usually look forward to a nice, relaxing weekend, but I may have to do my supermarket shopping this evening. Then it’s all systems go.
- Tomorrow afternoon I have a Ramblers meeting in Bolsover.
- Tomorrow evening I have to deliver a friend’s guitar to him in Doncaster.
- On Sunday it’s parents’ day, so a run out to Birmingham.
- On Monday I’m at the dentist. (shudder)
- On Tuesday I have an appointment in town.
- On Wednesday I’m due in Leicester for an optician’s appointment.
- On Thursday … I think I’m just working …
- On Friday morning I have an appointment in town.
- On Friday afternoon I have a hair appointment.
Just how am I supposed to get anything done?
Have a great weekend.