Good news/bad news

It’s been a bit of a good news/bad news week with most of the bad stuff happening in just a 12-hour pocket, or so.

Monday was a slow day with me sorting out the back yard as a place to work. I had to clean the table and chairs down, give the slabs a good swill, arrange some new pots that nextdoorlady’s bloke gave me. I did quite a lot of admin and diary work and finalised everything for my business meeting this morning. Following strict orders, I booked the car in for a Thursday appointment, thinking that it needed new wheel-bearings.

On Tuesday I started the day with a meeting in town, then spent the rest of it proof-reading a book on animals awarded the Victoria Cross for bravery (or Dickin Medal). I sat outside for much of the day, lapping up the sun’s rays.

Wednesday morning was more of the same, then I had to run the book into town and pick up the next job. As I was leaving the police were arriving to speak to nextdoorman about *his* trees, but he was out so they came into my yard instead to see exactly where the trees belonged. They left and I headed off for my meeting, and as the car rounded the final big roundabout, the knock-knock-knocking noise became a really loud, screeching, metal-on-metal noise and the whole steering column started to judder.

I limped to a suitable car parking space and called the garage, where mechanicman calmed me down, told me to drive home carefully, if I was worried to get the AA (Automobile Association) to drag me to his, but it was probably fine so long as I didn’t thrape it …

So off I tootled to my meeting, had a flying visit, ignored half the office, and got back to my car so I could crawl home. The screeching started again, so I detoured to the garage anyway, where mechanicman said it might be the drive shafts.

Fortunately there was a bus due any moment, so I was able to get home, but it meant this morning was an earlier start than scheduled as I was on the bus. I’m not in the best of moods first thing in the morning, we lost an hour at the weekend, and I had to get up even earlier. I wasn’t a happy bunny and when I jumped on a bus it took the scenic route. I was convinced I was going to be late.

I wasn’t late, though, I was early, I had my business plan signed off and I got my new enterprise grant off the government. That meant I could also finally sign off at the job centre (it’s a chore having to sign on every 2 weeks, having to declare any earnings and then getting the allowance docked – especially as you’re made to fight for every penny despite contributing to the system for 30+ years). And when I got to the job centre, there was a bomb scare going on.

That turned out to be just a drill, I signed off and headed home. While on the bus I spoke to mechanicman who said it might only be the one drive shaft that had gone, but it had “split open and everything’s fallen out”. I’m still waiting to hear the final damage …

When I got home the dog hadn’t trashed the place – much. The other thing awaiting me at home was a FOR SALE sign outside nextdoorman’s house! Whoo-hoo! It’s only taken him 4 months to put his house up “… first thing in the morning …” Now he just needs to sell it. If I’d known all it would take was the trees, I would have cut them down myself.

So, a mixed few days as you can see, and now I await news of my car.

I have another book in to proof and I still have the novel to edit. And now I have more admin work to do regarding separating the bank accounts out. This is real now. Time to walk the walk.

I’m shattered. How are you?  🙂


6 thoughts on “Good news/bad news

  1. devonellington 30 March 2012 / 2:25 am

    I’m tired, dragging, with deadlines looming, and I really, really need a break. But it’s not to be, not for a few more weeks at least.

    We’ll both have to hang in there.


    • Diane 30 March 2012 / 10:40 am

      I’m taking Easter off, as I skipped Christmas. So the next 7 days will be busy.


  2. Vikki (The View Outside) 30 March 2012 / 8:08 am

    Wow, youre on a bit of a rollercoaster at the moment arent you 😦

    Grit teeth hon, and hopefully next weeke will be better 🙂



    • Diane 30 March 2012 / 10:40 am

      It wasn’t so bad, just a bit up and down as you say. 🙂 xx


  3. Carol 31 March 2012 / 9:47 am

    Not the best weekend for me. Have a number of family issues to deal with including go up to Scotland on Monday. Then yesterday, when I was in Cheshire, my car came out in sympathy with yours. I managed to get home and dumped the car at the local garage, now I’m twiddling thumbs and waiting to hear the news. Trying to get on with some writing but the brain won’t settle. Hey-ho. Hope you have a good weekend anyway. Have one for me!


    • Diane 1 April 2012 / 4:16 pm

      Oh dear, hope things turn around again for you. 😦


Comments are closed.