It was going so well …,

So I just about make the 100-mile drive on Wednesday evening to drop the dog at my parents’ when the second I pulled onto their drive, the car starts to make a stupid noise.

I made it to my talk – oh it was so nice to catch up with everyone at my old writers’ workshop. I think they enjoyed it. I’m hoping to go back a couple of times a year for a visit, when I can tie it in to a run to the parents’ again. And I made it back to my parents’.

On the way back I stopped off at a PROPER CHIP SHOP, not a fish shop or a chip oil (hole), but a CHIP SHOP. It didn’t close at tea time. They sold me some tinned roe AND a pickled egg with my chips. They even put my salt and vinegar on for me. AND they wrapped it. It was the nicest, bestest bag of chips I’ve had in an AGE.

I called the AA (Automobile Association) and they got someone out to me within the hour … and it turned out my clutch release bearing was about to go. I *might* make it to the motorway, but every time I changed gear I risked the clutch going BANG. I could risk it, or I could wait for a relay truck to take us home.

The relay truck won and another hour or so later a very nice man loaded us all up onto his truck and into his cab and he took us all the way home. He was a very, very nice man. But I didn’t get in until 3am and I was shattered.

As a result, yesterday was a total waste of air as far as I was concerned. I got the car booked in with my other very, very nice man up here, for a new clutch. I’m taking it in on Monday (if the clutch doesn’t go BANG before I get there). Hopefully they’ll get around to it sooner rather than later, but at least by Thursday. (If the clutch does go BANG, they’ll come and get me.)

Today I had a few errands to run. First of all I needed to get a bus pass, only they don’t do just bus passes here, you have to have a bus and rail pass, which makes it dearer.

Then I had to take my mobile phone in to the phone doctor. They asked me to try a software update from home, which I’m currently doing, and if that doesn’t work to take it back before Tuesday morning and they’ll send it off for repair.

I cancelled my trip to the publisher; I can post the latest batch and see them next Friday instead.

Then it was the dentist … (shudder) Two fillings and a clean. But I was a very good girl, and he said my dental problems seem to have vanished. As I’ve done nothing different, it must be that vitamin C deficiency.

As I came out of the dentist, my bus sailed past and failed to stop for me (oh, the joys …), but another came 30 minutes later.

I’m going to have a chill evening. I think we’re going walking tomorrow. I’ve also had an offer to take me to do my shopping. But I need to do a bit more work too.

Have a good one.


4 thoughts on “It was going so well …,

  1. Carol 11 May 2012 / 8:46 pm

    Glad all went well, even if technology and engines seem to be against you.
    have a great weekend.


    • Diane 11 May 2012 / 9:08 pm

      You too. 🙂


  2. Josie 11 May 2012 / 9:32 pm

    asked hubby and they do just bus passes, weekly ones or monthly from the bus drivers, I’m guessing its a travel south yorkshire pass or similar if it includes rail, ages since I bought one.


    • Diane 11 May 2012 / 9:50 pm

      Yes, we can get them off the drivers, but I wanted a photocard for the security. I lose those bits of paper too easily too.


Comments are closed.