Missing in action

I ended up working Friday evening, so didn’t make it to a gig I’d been asked to. I did do the shopping though, to release my Saturday. And I worked all day Saturday too. I didn’t make it to a gig Saturday night because confirmation of the venue didn’t come in until almost 10pm – my mate’s text got stuck. (Sigh.)

On Sunday morning I woke with toothache, I worked for an hour or so and then drove down to see my parents. The visit lasted a bit longer than intended, but they’re both fine. I picked up a Chinese on the way home and ate that while I worked in front of the football (soccer) on television. I stopped working at about 11pm because I could barely keep my eyes open.

Monday morning, at 4am, I was woken by the birds. I’m used to hearing the Dawn Chorus now, but yesterday there was a new bird. A greenfinch. I didn’t know we had finches, and I’m glad that we do, I really am. But the greenfinch has an annoying song anyway, and as this one was also brand new it was similar to a loud clock ticking. Or Japanese water torture …

And I still had toothache …

I gave up trying to go back to sleep and by 7:30am I was working again, and intravenously drinking coffee because I was sooooo tired. The coffee didn’t work, other than make me want the loo every 5 minutes (I guess the kidneys are working fine, then), but by 2pm I finally finished one of the longest slogs in history.

At 3pm I dropped one job off at the publisher, picked another up, was briefed about another, and chased for another …

On the way home I dropped in to the chemist for painkillers, but by the time I got home I was fit to drop. I had the rest of the Chinese I didn’t eat on Sunday, watched telly for a bit, read for a bit, worked on CATCH THE RAINBOW for a bit, and went to bed.

And I totally forgot that I hadn’t done yesterday’s blog post … Sorry. 🙂

This morning I woke at about 7am to let Domino out and went back to bed. When Holly woke me up again, it was 9:30am … Slept in again, but I must have needed it. I feel much less sleepy today. And the toothache has gone. (investigates tooth area) I think.

Today and for the rest of the week it’s another single job – an editing job and another slog. But the new one is on the way and it’s supposed to be easier than this one. I also have a proof-reading job in and another script writing job, but those are booked in for next week.

I found out over the weekend that the bitterns at RSPB’s Old Moor have had babies. If I get some time out later in the week, I want to nip up and see them if I can.

As we’re now past the halfway mark of 2012 I thought I’d spend July reviewing the annual goals I set in January. There were 24 writerly goals and 13 non-writerly ones, although one is a duplicate.

Here’s no 1, then, and failure no 1:

  • Pitch for 3 monthly columns by end of 1st week (within my control).

I didn’t pitch for them by the end of the first week, but I did pitch by the end of the first month. Sadly, no-one bit, and last week I decided not to pitch to magazines any more as the return I get back for the work I put in just isn’t worth it.

And my first non-writerly goal:

  • Walk dog daily.

Absolutely! 🙂

Writerly goal no 2 will be here tomorrow.

Greenfinch. Picture © SongbirdsSlaughter

2 thoughts on “Missing in action

  1. Carol 3 July 2012 / 4:50 pm

    Hope the tooth stays settled. I’m off to have my trouble-maker out next Monday after my dentist cancelled the last appointment. I’m really not looking forward to it.


    • Diane 3 July 2012 / 6:20 pm

      I think you’re very brave. Good luck. 🙂


Comments are closed.