A writing frenzy

While I was working Friday morning, Yorkshire Water showed up to confirm what the drains company had said the day before. They put some blue dye down the main sewer to see if the water, when it comes up through my floor, is blue or not – since then we’ve had hardly any rain and the water table may be dropping again … (sigh). And they’ve arranged for a “clean water” man to come and check for underground bursts.

That held me up for some of the morning, and I was late getting to the afternoon meeting. But it was a good meeting and once everything is fixed, it’s going to be great. Hopefully for far longer than we’ve had the trouble.

I did the shopping and got home too late to start anything so walked the dog and went out instead. I was already popping out to a friend’s for a drink and a chat, and when I found out another friend’s band was playing at the top of our snicket, we went up there instead.

On Saturday I had a writing frenzy. In total I worked on 11 different stories, articles, fillers or sketches and I wrote various outlines and 1st and 2nd drafts. I wasn’t feeling very well, though (nothing to do with the night before – I had a bit of a niggle at the back of my throat), and had an early night. By morning I had a definite bit of a throat, called Dad to cancel my visit there this time, and went back to bed.

When I got up, in the middle of the afternoon, I got on with some more editing, and had another early night.

I still wasn’t feeling great this morning, but a short story, whole, complete, fully-formed and fully-peopled, was nagging at me to be written. So I got up early, wrote the first 1,100-word draft, had some breakfast, and went back to bed for an hour.

I was actually quite chuffed because I’d written a short story outline last week with a view to entering a competition today. But I wasn’t at all happy with it, so pleaded with the Universe to give me something to work with, preferably on time. By last night I’d all but given hope.

Then this morning, there it was. Cosmic ordering rocks! 🙂

When I got up again I had another breakfast, and I wrote 2 more drafts during the day, in between writing the walks report for this week and more editing, and finally sent it off to the competition with time to spare at a healthy – I hope – 1,600 words. I also dealt with quite a lot of correspondence.

I’m shattered now and may have another early night. But at least I’ve produced something, quite a few things in fact, over the past 2 or 3 days. I want to get the comedy sketch 3rd draft typed up and then let that cool properly before sending it out. I may do that next.

I also have to take the dog for a walk, as he didn’t get one yesterday, and I have to make and eat tea. It’s been a busy day.


2 thoughts on “A writing frenzy

  1. Carol 17 July 2012 / 6:03 am

    It certainly was a writing frenzy, well done. I felt exhausted just reading it!


    • Diane 18 July 2012 / 11:12 am

      It’s been a mad few days. 🙂


Comments are closed.