I started 2012 with an incredibly long list of goals and targets. I didn’t do particularly well, but here they are anyway:
- Pitch for 3 monthly columns by end of 1st week (within my control). I DIDN’T PITCH FOR THEM BY THE END OF THE FIRST WEEK, BUT I DID PITCH BY THE END OF THE FIRST MONTH. SADLY, NO-ONE BIT, AND SO I DECIDED NOT TO PITCH TO MAGAZINES ANY MORE AS THE RETURN I GET BACK FOR THE WORK I PUT IN JUST ISN’T WORTH IT.
- Earn enough to at least make ends meet by end of January (desired). YES, BUT IT WAS PROBABLY MORE OF A REGULAR OCCURRENCE BY THE END OF APRIL, WHICH WAS THE END OF MY FIRST OFFICIAL MONTH FREELANCING AGAIN.
- Pitch for up to 4 marketing/corporate jobs per month, 2 days per firm per month, by end of 2nd week (within my control). I’D LOVE TO DO THIS, I REALLY WOULD. BUT I SIMPLY DON’T HAVE THE TIME TO SEND OUT THE PITCHES. HOWEVER, IF SOMEONE APPROACHES ME, THAT’S A DIFFERENT STORY.
- Write 1,000 words every day on a work of fiction (within my control). I’VE PRETTY MUCH BEEN STICKING TO THIS, AND IF I’VE NOT ACTUALLY WRITTEN 1,000 WORDS I’VE BEEN PLANNING OR PLOTTING OR READING UP ON SOMETHING. I’VE CHANGED THE WORK SLOT TO READ “MY WORK” AND ALWAYS TRY TO SPEND AT LEAST AN HOUR OR TWO DOING SOMETHING OF MY OWN.
- Write and submit 1 or 2 markets articles each month (within my control). NO. THIS IS PART OF THE PITCHING I’M NO LONGER DOING. I WROTE 3 MONTHLY MARKETS ARTICLES AT THE START OF THE YEAR THAT WERE BOUGHT. NO 4 WAS REJECTED.
- Finish first draft of Catch the Rainbow by end of February (within my control). HA HA HA HA HA. NO.
- Submit 3 lots of 3 pitches to 3 different magazines every week (within my control). NO. THIS IS PART OF THE PITCHING I’VE STOPPED DOING.
- Start organising interviews with National Service veterans and provide a sample chapter to my publisher by end of March (within my control). THE INTERVIEWS HAVE STARTED BUT I DON’T HAVE ENOUGH FOR THE FIRST CHAPTER YET. I ALSO CAN’T AFFORD TO DEVOTE THE TIME AND TRAVEL UNTIL I’VE RECEIVED AN ADVANCE AT LEAST.
- Go and talk to me ol’ muckas at Solihull Writers’ Workshop in May (within my control). YES, THIS WAS A BIG TICK IN MAY.
- Get that book commissioned and started by end of June (desired). NO.
- Proof-read 1 book every week for publisher (desired). YES, WHEN THEY CAME IN.
- Turn proof-reading around in 1 – 2 weeks (within my control when I have them). YES.
- Submit 1 commissioned article once a fortnight (desired). NO.
- Edit 1 book every month for publisher (desired). NO. THE PROMISED WORK FAILED TO MATERIALISE. I ONLY RECIEVED 4 BOOKS ALL YEAR AND ANOTHER WAS GIVEN TO SOMEONE ELSE TO DO BECAUSE I WAS BUSY HELPING THEM DEVELOP THEIR NEW SYSTEM – FOR FREE …
- Turn editing around in 3 – 4 weeks (within my control when I have them). YES.
- Submit 1 unsolicited article to 1 RTE magazine every month (within my control). NO. MANAGED 2 ALL YEAR, BOTH SOLD.
- Write and submit 1 short story every month to fave market (within my control). NO.
- Write and submit 1 short story every month to a higher paying magazine (within my control). NO. BUT I DID START SUBMITTING TO OVERSEAS MARKETS.
- Enter 1 FREE short story competition every month (within my control, when available). NO. MANAGED 1 ALL YEAR.
- Write and submit 1 filler/reader’s letter per week (within my control). NO. BUT I DID SELL 2 PUZZLES TO A MAGAZINE – A WORDSEARCH AND A 4×4 CROSSWORD – 2 FILLERS TO ANOTHER, AND 1 FILLER TO ANOTHER.
- Earn enough to be comfortable again by end of June (desired). STARTED, BUT THEN PETERED OFF AS THE PROMISED WORK FAILED TO MATERIALISE. BY DECEMBER WAS TOTALLY BROKE.
- Start The Fool by end of September (within my control). NO.
- Catch the Rainbow in production by year end (desired, within my control as can do it myself if necessary). NO.
- Take a holiday … NO.
- Walk dog daily. ABSOLUTELY! 🙂
- Start with 1 yoga session per week and build up to 3. THIS TURNED INTO 10 MINUTES DAILY.
- Attend every 5 mile walk with Ramblers that am available for. NO. I MANAGED A COUPLE BUT RUFUS WASN’T REALLY READY TO BE ON HIS BEST BEHAVIOUR AND I REALLY PREFER TO WALK ALONE OR WITH A FRIEND. INSTEAD I’VE IDENTIFIED SOME SHORT WALKS WHERE I WANT TO GO, AND WE’RE DOING THEM IN OUR OWN TIME.
- Use the Wii at least weekly, or sell it. SOLD IT.
- Play with the DS at least weekly, or sell it. SOLD IT.
- Attend Ramblers National Conference in April. YES, AND THOROUGHLY ENJOYED IT.
- Start and use the kitchen garden. NO.
- Only eat homemade cakes, biscuits and cookies. NO.
- Bake bread at least once a month. YES.
- Only eat homemade “ready meals”. YES.
- Ensure freezer is full at all times. YES.
- Do not buy another book until TBR pile has reduced by at least half. UM …
- Take a holiday … NO.
During the summer I also suffered not one but 2 floods, one really bad one in the back yard caused by my selfish neighbour, and the other a much smaller one in the lounge that nevertheless wrecked my carpet and decorating. I had all the experts out trying to find out the cause of this water penetration, but it was down to me in the end to sort it out, which I did in December. I’m not my father’s daughter for nothing …
On the plus side, I did publish a collection of short stories in the summer, Twee Tales, which did very well, and I published 2 calendars. Also, on the last-but-one day of the year, I published a collection of the best bits from Baggins Bottom for 2005.
Tomorrow I’ll share my dreams, goals and targets for 2013, but remember today is the last chance to enter the competition to win a copy of Baggins Bottom Best Bits.
For every day of the new year, on the 1st of the month and again on the 26th of the month (which is my immoveable Do Diddle Day) I’ll share that month’s calendar picture and where it was taken. Today’s is the cover of the small calendar and also the cover for Twee Tales.
In the meantime, I hope everyone has happy and safe celebrations this evening and … I’ll see you next year. 😉