And I don’t mean outside, I mean on the blog. I was looking for that function only last week and couldn’t find it, but it looks as though they’ve retained the setting from last year. This is nice as I’m actually starting to feel a bit like Christmas already this year. In recent years it’s taken a little while longer despite it being my favourite time of year.
We put the tree up yesterday. For the first time in years I had help and it looks lovely. We’ve stuck to just red trimmings this time and it goes with the lounge just perfectly. We also baked the cake – with one spare (for testing purposes, of course) – and I had help with that too, in the stirry bit where the mixture gets a bit too heavy. I’ll ice it a bit closer to the time when I’ll also make the Yule log, the mince pies and tarts, and any festive biscuits.
I’ve been doing a lot of catching up with work just lately, hence my absence from the blog. It’s been work away from the pc and keeping off the pc has resulted in me being more productive too. Last Thursday and Friday I started work at 8:30am both days, and both days finished well into the evening. I also updated the gig list for December and I pitched for 13 jobs.
The other catch-up thing I did was sort out all of my current writing work in progress. I haven’t done any proper writing since my 30k in 30 days in April and I’ve been determined to get back into the swing of that. So last week I kickstarted it all by:
- pitching a brand new article
- outlining two brand new short stories, and
- outlining a brand new filler, all firsts in ages.
Then I armed myself with a book I quite enjoyed reading the first time, The Positively Productive Writer by Simon Whaley, and gave myself a pep-read via the Kindle. This book will be staying by my side throughout 2014 as there’s a month-by-month guide as well.
The next jobs I did last week included:
- emptying the hard-copy-editing folder (books)
- turning 3 short stories around and sending them off on their merry way again
- sending 1 book off to the client, and
- printing 2 draft 3 articles off for editing and submission.
News just in: The book I sent back to the client on Friday has just this second been paid for. I like that kind of work.
After a busy weekend, with a gig Friday night, a visit to Birmingham on Saturday, a double gig Saturday night, a walk yesterday and all of the weekend Christmas activity, I started the new week very well with my first Yoga workout in ages. I did a bit of this yesterday when my back started to really hurt again, and it did it the world of good quite quickly. So now I want to do something every morning again, just like I used to.
This week, then (and those of a nervous disposition may want to look away now), here is my to-do list:
- complete electronic edits on 2 books and submit for typesetting
- complete brand new filler and submit by Wednesday
- write walks report and submit to 6 local newspapers
- write 3 blog posts
- update gig list on Wednesday
- write and submit 1 commissioned article, and source pictures
- kickstart Devon Ellington’s 5 Stories in 10 Weeks with a short flash fiction piece
- edit and submit 2 speculative articles (RTEs – Readers’ True Experiences)
- write draft 1 of a new short story that’s actually a sequel to a previously successful story
- surf the job boards daily.
What are your plans this week?